Friday, September 3, 2010

Roberta's Begins Serving Cocktails


I went to Roberta's, the ultra-hip pizza joint in Bushwick, this week and had me a cocktail. This, I was told by a friend who goes regularly, is a new development. In the past Roberta's only served beer and wine.

The list is about ten drinks long, with prices ranging from $9 to $12. The drinks are inventive, perhaps to a fault. I had something called Saint Michael—Hendrink's Gin, St. Germain, yellow Chartreuse, honey. Good, though the Hendrick's and St. Germain bullied the flavor profile. What made me order it, however, was the inclusion of bee pollen in the ingredient list. It floated there on the surface of the cocktail, like freshly ground black pepper. This is the first I've encountered pollen as a cocktail element, though I understand certain bars have experimented with it. And I must say it added to the drink.  Given the nature of Roberta's, I'm guessing it came from bees in their own garden out back.

I'll print the list as soon as I get it.


No comments: