Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cocktail Incompetency: P.J. Clarke's


It pains me to post this, as I adore P.J. Clarke's for the old school New York tavern it is. But a bad drink is a bad drink.

I was excited to see that Clarke's had Pimm's Cup on the chalkboard as one of its regular featured cocktail. The Pimm's Cup is one of the cocktails I'm mildly obsessed with. And summer was coming on, so I thought: why not?

What I got was the worst Pimm's Cup I've ever drunk. Far too much Pimm's (I'm sure the bartender thought he was doing me a favor by going heavy on the booze), too little Ginger Ale, and no cucumber slice at all! Instead, a friggin' forest of mint! What the hell? If I wanted mint, I'd have ordered a Julep or a Mojito.

Can't wait until I can get to the Napoleon House and get a proper Pimm's Cup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just returned from New Orleans myself. I wasn't able to have a Pimm's Cup at the Napoleon House, what with their limited hours nowadays.

At the insistence of Joe Gendusa, I did have a Pimm's at Muriel's, a fine restaurant and a heck of a bar. Their Pimm's did have a cucumber but I encountered a similarly heavy-handed pour of the Pimm's. That's why they invented jiggers.

Anonymous said...

After a trip to London, I must say that I myself have become mildly obsessed with Pimm's Cup. Sad to hear PJ Clarke's has a horrible version. Do you by any chance know where else it can be had in NYC? Or else, where I can buy an actual bottle of Pimm's No. 1 to mix myself? Thanks!

Robert Simonson, "Our Man in the Liquor-Soaked Trenches"-New York Times. said...

Bettina, you can buy Pimm's No. 1 at most any respectable liquor store in New York. It's not hard to find. As for bars that do it right, try any of the usual suspects: Pegu Club, Flatiron Lounge, Death & Co., Little Branch. Or just march into a bar and dictate your terms, ratio-wise.